Chef Of The Month
The Ryebeck Windermere
Nick Edgar has been Head Chef at The Ryebeck, Windermere for the past 10 months. Living and working in the beautiful UNESCO Lake District for 3 years plus, he boasts an illustrious career to date. During his time at The Samling he won a coveted Michelin Star, 3 AA rosettes and earned the title Cumbria Life Chef of the Year in 2017.
When it comes to dining at The Ryebeck, the ethos is for good honest food prepared with love and using the best local ingredients, from quality suppliers like Althams Butchers.
Think Cumbrian Lamb Rump with minted bulgar wheat and Eye Valley asparagus or braised beef cheeks with crushed Jersey Royals, English peas and broad beans.
Below Nick shares his recipe and tips to create a delicious Pork, Sage, Onion and Apple dish.
PORK with Sage, Onion and Apple
COOK THE PORK: 1x pork tenderloin trimmed and fat removed, 20g butter
ONION PUREE: 10g butter, 3 Spanish onions peeled and sliced, 50g cream, 3g salt
MUSTARD CABBAGE: 2 spring cabbages, 10g English mustard, 50g cream
APPLE PUREE: 3 granny smith apples, 3 pink lady apples
PICKLED ONION: 100g white wine vinegar, 200g water, 50g sugar, 8g salt, 1 Spanish onion cut into wedges
ROASTED ONION: 1 red onion cut into wedges, 10g butter
SAGE AND ONION GRANOLA: 50g porridge oats, 5g black onion seeds, 10g dried onion flakes, 20g honey, 10g chopped fresh sage, 5g sea salt
1.In a pan melt butter and add sliced onion, stir continually on medium heat until soft, around 15 mins, add cream and bring to boil.
2. Strain off liquid and blend cooked onion until smooth
3. Bring a big pan of water to the boil with a pinch of salt, add cabbage and cook for 3 mins then remove in to ice water. Reduce the cream in a pan by half and whisk in mustard, add cabbage to cream.
4. Peel all apple and remove core, place in a pan with a little water and cook till soft, blend till smooth.
5. In a pan bring water, vinegar salt and sugar to boil, slice x1 Spanish onion in to wedges, place in liquid and boil for 3 mins, allow to cool
6. In a non-stick pan melt butter and add red onion wedges and cook till golden brown and soft season with salt.
7. Melt honey in pan and add all other ingredients and mix well, place on greaseproof tray and bake at 180oc for 10 mins until golden brown.
8. In a frying pan melt the butter, add the pork fillet and roll in butter until golden brown, place pan in oven add 180oc for 4 mins, season with salt and allow to rest for 3 mins before carving.
9. To serve place cabbage in the middle of the plate, dot the apple puree and onion puree around the plate. Place the roasted red onion and pickled onion pieces around the plate. Place sliced pork on top and spoon over roasting juice. Finish the dish with a sprinkling of the sage and onion granola.