Chef Of The Month September 2014: Chris Almound
The Topiary Restaurant Macclesfield
Went to catering college gaining NVQ level 2/3, then moved to Scotland working in hotels & restaurants including The Lagg Hotel on the Isle of Arran & The Coylumbridge Hotel Aviemore. Came back home to work in Manchester in my early 20???s and worked in award winning restaurants including Brasserie St Pierre & Cheshire Life Restaurant of the Year The Topiary Restaurant Macclesfield.
Came to the garden centre in 2006 where myself & team have built up an excellent reputation for cooking British Cuisine sourced with local & seasonal ingredients where ever possible.www.klondyke.co.uk
Morecambe Bay / Red Bank Farm Salt Marsh Lamb Cutlets, Braised shoulder, Carrot & roast garlic puree, Samphire, Broad beans & Lamb reduction.
- Morecambe bay / Red bank farm Salt Marsh Lamb Rack 2 Bone
- Morecambe bay / Rad bank farm Salt Marsh Lamb shoulder 1kg
- 1 x Small Onion
- 1 x Bulb Garlic
- 4 x Large Carrots
- 4 x Celery sticks
- 1 x Sprig fresh Mint
- 1 x Sprig fresh Rosemary
- 1/2 x Lemon
- 50g x Fresh Broad beans
- 50g x Samphire
- 1 x glass White Wine
- 50g x Panko breadcrumbs
- 50g plain flour
- 1 x egg
Lamb Shoulder & Sauce
- Braise the Lamb shoulder with 2 celery sticks, 2 carrots, onion, rosemary, mint, white wine, 1 pint of water and season, cover & braise for 3 hours in a medium oven @ 160*C.
- Meanwhile chop the remaining vegetables into Brunois (small dice) & sweat in a pan. After 3 hours the meat should fall off the bone on the shoulder, leave to cool for 30 mins & then shred, add the brunois of vegetables, a little of the cooking liquor and season to taste. Shape into balls panne using the flour, egg & breadcrumbs.
- Take the cooking liquor, strain & remove all fat and reduce until correct saucing consistency.
Carrot & Roast Garlic Puree
- Peel & chop 2 carrots, cook until soft, roast 4 garlic cloves in oven until soft. Place in food processor with a little water, 2 tsp melted butter & season, blitz until puree.
- French trim, season & seal in hot pan, place in oven @ 200*C for 6-8 minutes, remove & allow to rest for 5 minutes.
Broad beans & Samphire
- Add the broad beans to a pan of boiling salted water & cook for 3 minutes, add the samphire & cook for a further 1 minute, refresh and peel broad beans.